Treatments for Depression, Anxiety, Mood Variations (Unmada)
Everyone occasionally feels blue or sad, but these feelings usually go away within a few hours or a couple of days. When people have a depressive disorder, they feel really sad for a long time and cannot shake this feeling. They also often have problems with sleeping, trouble with appetite, feel tired a lot of the time, and have problems concentrating. Depressive disorder interferes with their ability to do things in their lives that they normally can do well; and it causes pain for both the people with the disorder and those who care about them. Depressive disorder is a common but serious illness. Many people never seek treatment for their depression, but most people who experience depression feel better if they get treatment.
From the perspective of Ayurveda, depression comes in three types, each treated differently. In brief, we can say that in certain conditions, vata from the colon, pitta from the intestine or kapha from the stomach enters the general circulation and lodges in the nervous system, interfering with its functioning.
Depression strikes millions each year, often with debilitating consequences. This psychological disorder is so common that nearly 10% of the population is suffering from a depressive disorder. For some, the winter season can bring on a low mood; for others, depression is caused by major life changes, such as a divorce, major financial problems, a chronic illness, death of a loved one and other life stresses.
The Ayurvedic Viewpoint :
Ayurveda mentions Depression as “Vishada”. Although this disease is categorized under psychological diseases, it can also affect the body; hence it can lead to any physical or psychological disorder. Depression is an illness that infiltrates your whole body. It affects the way you feel about things and situations, and you feel about yourself, the way you eat and sleep, the way your memory is working.
- Physical Abuse
- Mental Abuse
- Excessive intake of Medications
- Angry very quickly without any reason
- Hot sensation at the top of head
- Burning Sensation in the head
- Difficulty in concentration
- Inability to do things on their own
- Memory Loss
Line Of Treatment
- Cleanse the body using Panchakarma Procedures like Snehapana, Abhyanga & Sweda followed by Virechana which detoxifies the body and prepares it for Further treatment.
- Special Procedures to improve the mental functions such as Shirodhara ,Shiro Basti, Shiro Pichu, Thalapothichil etc can be done as Shamana Chikitsa
- Sathvavajaya Chikitsa such as chanting of mantras, performing spiritual poojas, Yagyas etc can also be done in some cases as per need
- Yoga , Pranayama and meditation technique helps in improving the concentration & memory
- Intake of Medhya Rasayana Dravya s help in maintaining the tranquility of mind & Body